• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

[attachment=0:g1nx1x7c]P1120616.JPG[/attachment:g1nx1x7c][attachment=2:g1nx1x7c]P1120614.JPG[/attachment:g1nx1x7c][attachment=1:g1nx1x7c]P1120615.JPG[/attachment:g1nx1x7c]Loose under bunk or under cushion boards a nuisance, perhaps if you have to remove them in a seaway?
      I have just finished fitting hinges to all the main cabin boards, and all the saloon ones. The cabin boards have lanyards attached which can be attached to hooks or convenient points to keep the boards open. The hinges in the photo are ‘inverted’ type – ie they open the opposite way to normal hinges, thus the screws are countersunk on the upper side in the photo.

Michael.

Anonymous

Very good I like this idea I will do this my B36. Thanks

Anonymous

Hello Ruby,
          Glad you like the idea – it is what sharing ideas is all about. Just in case my description is not as good as it could be, the hinges on the bunk boards are chrome reverse type, ie they are smooth on the upside, and thus will not damage the cushions. The greatest advantage I think is the ability to hold the boards up in a seaway, while you ferret around for bits in the storage spaces below. The saloon boards stay up by themselves, more or less, but more importantly you do not have to put them somewhere else while you go into the storage spaces. After a year in place I can say they really work well.

Cheers,

Michael.

Anonymous

Like your hinge idea. We copied a modification we saw on a Bav 34 in Brittany. In the forcabin the long boards are difficult to handle so we cut them along the line of the vertical bulkheads that devide the space under the berth into three. We fitted extra battens to the top of the bulkheads to support the cut boards and now only remove one of the six small boards, to get at the under berth storage.
            The forward section is filled with our second 150 ltr water tank so only gets lifted for tank maintenance. The mid section is where we store our spare sails so again does not get lifted often. The aft section is used most as we store our folding bicycles and the log is just under the timber floor. We can lift out one of the bikes, remove the half floor and get at the log without a major operation. It has worked so well that I never got round to fitting hinges.
            We use the space beneath the saloon berths for our storage of tins and containers of food and drink, bottled water, wine and beer together with ships tools and spares so we soon got fed up of holding them up whilst retreaving items from store. We fitted each berth with a hinged strut. The hinge end is at the front face and the strut is notched to sit on the top of the locker front. The free end is kept tight to the underside of the berth by an aero elastic strap which you just hook over the free end as you drop the hinged berth base after use. Works a treat. I don’t have photographs but will take some this season when next I go to Brittany.

Anonymous

Hi All, just bought a 37 and the previous owner had fitted hinges also, the cleaver bit is he didnt use bungees but 6mm alloy rods hinged to prop up the boards.Next time im down on board will take a few photos if anybody’s interested. The rods are BQ alloy tube i believe.

rgds Ray

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.