• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I had heating fitted to my B40 last year, with the outlet located on the stern. A couple of times, I have got water in the heater exhaust pipe due to wave splashback from my dinghy, which we often have tied along the stern. To prevent this I started putting a wooden bung in the outlet, but I know that one of these times I’ll forget to take it out before putting the heating on. The exhaust pipe does have a loop behind tht outlet, but clearly it’s not enough.

I have now fitted a clam shell cover over the heater outlet, thinking that this will prevent any water getting into the pipe, but still allow the exhaust to escape easily. However, on trying the unit, I find that the fibreglass/grp below the clam shell cover is getting hot. Note that the trial was in a shed, with no wind or airflow to disperse the heat, so maybe it will be less hot when used in the open air.

The clam shell cover is large – 190L x 170W x 72H mm. As I’ve seen similar sized covers used over engine exhaust outlets I thought this would be ok.

I suppose my question is really “how hot can grp get without damage?”

Alastair

Anonymous

There’s another answer – replace the old exhaust pipe with a longer length with a big loop, as high as it will go- you may need to support the pipe. That’s what i did on our B39 after we bought her.

John

Anonymous

Thanks John. That would be fine, but the outlet has been fitted fairly close to the top of the transom, so there’s only room for a small loop.

I have since seen a heater exhaust outlet with a stainless right-angle bend protruding from it, but can’t find any such outlet on the web. Maybe it’s been a bespoke job.

I’ll keep an eye on things for now. I can always remove the cover if need be, and go back to the wooden bung solution.

Alastair

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.