• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My B34 Saloma has developed a leak in the forecabin. I have removed the hull linning on the Port hand side and with the use of a hose pipe on deck i can see the water trickling down the inside of the hull just behind the bulkhead to the anchor locker. I am still not sure how the water is getting in as it is not obvious. has anyone else had the same problem and if so can you help.

Anonymous

In the process of trying to cure the same problem and by the sounds of it in the exact same spot.

Things learnt to date;

The bow light cable is located in the pulpit portside rear leg and ours had no sealant around the cable where it exited through the deck, sealing that cured some of the water…..

I removed all the anchor chain from the locker to find some of the Resin wash had been chipped off over the head of two screws, sealing that reduced the leak even further…….

Upon advice from another Bavaria owner (at a BOA rally), I have now sealed the cable located in the deck fitting just in front the mast using self amalgamating tape wound arond the cable and down the fitting , I must admit I wasn’t very convinced by the suggestion but when looking closer the deck fitting thimble was loose and the rubber grommet appeared that it wasn’t sealing very well……

I am hoping that when I arrive next weekend the cabin will be dry, being positive about the weather at least it is testing the work so far.

Anonymous

Have a look at the panel at the rear of the anchor locker where it seals to the deck. My B37 was a bit short on sealant in this area. Lots more was added and problem solved.

Anonymous

On-going leak Part Two.

Having arrived at the boat to drop off some kit, I was annoyed and frustrated to still find water in the forecabin. Luckly that before leaving last time I had the foresight to remove all the cabin lining and furnishings and had placed small bits of kitchen roll around the edges of the berth allowing me to focus my search in the areas where the bits of kitchen roll were wet.

The water appeared to be coming from the deck level, portside, close to, if not, in the anchor locker.

I cut away some of the fibreglass stitching to gain a better look while the younger members of the family ran a hose down the port toe-rail just in front the pulpit aft stauntion. I could see water but it was not clear where it was coming from. At this point I was so fed up that I attacked the top port corner of the ply bulkhead, cutting some away for better access to discover that the water was entering from the two fixings screws holding the stauntion base to the deck. Upon removal of the base from the deck, one of the machine screws had a damaged thread and looked like it had never been fully tightened. This was made worse by the application of only a small amount of sealant in the factory.

One hour, two machine screws and a tube of sealant later it was all replaced, and so we now wait until this coming weekend to see if this has been successful.

Anonymous

On-going leak part three.

Success, a dry cabin and a happy crew.

On to the next job…….

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. Sorry i have only just read them as i have been out of the country for the last 2 months. looks like the aft support to the pulpit on the port side will be my starting point. Did you have to cut away any of the interior head liner and if so how did you deal with the resulting hole.

regards.

Anonymous

In Hunros I managed to remove the headlining and side trim to gain access without damaging any of it.

I did get it down to a fine art and it about ten minutes work, the first time however took more like forty-five minutes.

regards
                  Paul

Anonymous

Thanks to your help i have traced and sealed the leak to the forcabin on Saloma. It looks like another Bavaria fault which will occur on every boat if the method of construction is the same on the hull to deck joint. As the cable entry hole is over the anchor locker Bavaria have assumed, as i did, that any water entering would simply drip into the locker and out through the drain holes. unfortunately this is not the case. The hole for the cable is in the perfect position, adjacent to the inner edge of the toe rail , to collect all the water from forward of its position and rainwater running off the pullpit. The water then flows down the hole and back along the flimsy fiberglass shelf that holds the hardwood batten in place, immediatly below the hull to deck joint. I think that Bavaria introduced this small section of timber to offer some resistance and allow the self drilling screws to bite, so that the hull to deck joint could be pulled down tight. The water is entering the forward cabin between the underside of the hardwood and the top of the fiberglass that holds it in place.
                    Even on a boat that does not have a leak into the cabin, the hardwood in the anchor locker will remain wet and eventually suffer wet rot, particularly at the screw positions.
                    My advice to all Bavaria owners would be to check the navigation light cable entry inside the anchor locker and if the hole passes through the small timber section seal it from above.
                    If anyone wants details of the best way to do this please get in touch.

Thanks again to Hunros for pointing me in the right direction.

Anonymous

Grrrrrrrrrrrr,

We now have another leak, this time it appears to be the starboard pulpit fixings.

Has anyone tried Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure, if so, did it work and is it as clean and easy as the website describes?

Thanks in advance
                      Paul

Anonymous

Sucess,
                        for the first time in over two years we have a dry forecabin.

Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure applied to all the screw heads around the bow area and run along the toe rail edge has fixed the issue.

Thanks Captain Tolley.

Anonymous

I’m new to the BOA forums but I am already begining to feel part of the family in that we share the same problems. On my 2007 B37 I have had the identical problem with a leak through the NAV light cable as described above- poorly sealed with clear silcon and one of the stanchion bolts loose- and also through the forward ‘jackstay ‘d’ ring on the starboard side. I must check in the anchor locker now. I still have a touch of water coming into the forward cabin bulkhead but I’m hoping thats leakage from water trapped in the foam around the forward water tank and will eventually dry out.

Your advice here is much appreciated.

Anonymous

Thought it may be of use to share our adventures chasing the elusive forward leak on our B36. The symptom was water evident under the port/aft end of the fwd berth. The source after considerable hosings and contortions inside was a poorly bedded port/fwd fairlead.

We still have a small leak from the bottom of the chain locker into the fwd storage locker. I can’t see any obvious cracking at the bottom of the chain locker but it is obviously coming from this area (the hose test confirms it). The corrective action would be to reseal the bottom of the chain locker. Any recommendations regarding how best to do this?

John

Anonymous

We found the same water leak in our 2003 Bav44 but it has taken us a few months of observation (mostly of no leak at all) to work out exactly when it is happening. The leak always happens when we are punching through heavy seas close hauled on port tack – waves blast straight up the gunwale and seem to be penetrating between the hull and the underside of the toe-rail close to or at the fairlead.

Now that we know when to watch for it, it is a minor irritation rather than a major problem. Easiest fix is to stack the mattress cushions on the starboard side and lay a thick towel in the “drip” area. This is not particularly elegant so the first dry weekend we get we will silicone the gap and see if that fixes the issue.

Anonymous

We had a leak into the main bilge area where the keel bolts are. I traced it to rain water entering via the toe rail screws forward port side. Retracted screws about 10mm and put some clear silicone sealant onto threads and re-tightened. Boat now perfectly dry. Taking to the local fibre glass guys water ingress through screw threads is very common on lost of boats. No great drama!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.