• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Can any one recommend someone to fix the problem (which doesn’t seem unusual ) of leaking deck hatches on a 2001 Bav 34.
      Preferably on the south coast.
      Clive
      Wish
      Port Solent

Anonymous

Where abouts are they leaking from?

Anonymous

It appears to be the seal holding “glass” into frame

Anonymous

Try something like this

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/ConsumablesChemicals/SealantsAdhesives/Sealant/AM016.aspx

**Not linked to product – just past experience!

Anonymous

tried and tested but failed.
              I was looking for a reliable company that could remove and re-seal the hatches for me

Anonymous

If these are the original hatches on the coachroof (rather than windows) made by Rutgerson, then there probably is not a permanent solution. They leaked from new and mine from the same year were replaced under warranty with Gebo hatches which do not leak. You could try Eagle Boat Windows, but you may find it better to bite the bullet and replace them with either Gebo or Lewmar, either of which fit without any modification to the hole.

Anonymous

@symphony1 wrote:

If these are the original hatches on the coachroof (rather than windows) made by Rutgerson, then there probably is not a permanent solution. They leaked from new and mine from the same year were replaced under warranty with Gebo hatches which do not leak. You could try Eagle Boat Windows, but you may find it better to bite the bullet and replace them with either Gebo or Lewmar, either of which fit without any modification to the hole.

+1 for Lewmar (*touch wood)

Anonymous

I’ve not had trouble with the deck hatches on my 2002 Bav 36, but the cabin side windows used to leak. My temporary solution is to coat the seal rubber with Vaseline. It works very well, and only needs renewing about once each year.

If the water is getting down between the glass and the seal (or the frame and the seal, then a fool-proof solution is as follows:-

Go to Marine Superstore (Port Solent) and buy a tube of ABROMAST sealant (it’s a non-hardening butyl).

Squidge a line of it around the outside of the hatch and use your finger to push it into the gaps around the seal. Wipe the excess off with white spirit.

Job done. They’ll not leak any more.

Bob

PS. If you find that your hatches or windows start to leak from the foam frame gasket, remove them and re-seat them using this stuff to replace the foam gasket. Done all mine and the boat is now dry as a bone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.