Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My 2003 Bavaria 32 has the usual Volvo sail drive but there is also a supplementary pear anode. It doesn’t seem to erode so I am not sure that it is needed. I like to reduce to an absolute minimum the number of possible sources of leaks, so I am keen to remove the anode and its bolts and fill the holes permanently and safely.

The studs are 10mm so the holes in the hull must be about that size. What is the best/safest/most permanent way of filling the holes? I don’t want to replace the studs with plain bolts; I’d rather make a permanent repair using epoxy or similar. Any advice?

Thanks, Jonathan

bobclements
      Keymaster

Just use an epoxy repair putty and fill the holes with that.  As it’s below the waterline, no need to bother with gelcoat.  Just paint your antifoul straight over it.

Peter Ryan
        Participant

Hi Jonathan are you sure the anode has been wired up correctly? I had  mine checked a few weeks ago and found out that all the wiring was incorrect.

Peter

Anonymous

Peter – thanks for this. The answer is I don’t know …. all I know is that the original purchase receipt shows that the first owner had a supplementary anode fitted when the boat was delivered. It is a pear anode. Of course, I was at the boat yesterday, not today, so I cannot check now. From memory the anode is wired to the sail drive. What is the correct method? Can you get a picture of your installation? Thanks, Jonathan

Peter Ryan
            Participant

Hi Jonathan,

If you check in with the ‘anode outlet’ online they have instructions on how to do it. I used the person who serviced my engine, it took him 5 mins to change the wiring for me. Hopefully my small prop anode on the saildrive, will be in much better shape this year.

Peter

Anonymous

I’ve checked … presumably the bottom article is the one: https://www.anodeoutlet.co.uk/vessel-types/.

I’m pretty sure that my supplementary anode is connected to the saildrive housing (not the engine) as recommended. Will check next time I’m at the boat.

What I do notice is that the big ring anode on the saildrive wears very little. But the split-ring one on the prop (I have a Brunton’s Varifold) gets almost completely eaten away in under a year. It could be that the supplementary anode IS working, but that it is protecting the big ring anode, not the little split-ring one.

bobclements
                Keymaster

Try sanding the ring anode surface back.  If it’s a bit old, it may need getting some fresh zinc in touch with the water.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.