Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Carrick Blue
    Participant

Prop Walk.

I have a 2007 Bavaria 42 Cruiser. The boat has excessive prop walk. I’ve changed the folding propeller for a fixed prop but the problem still persists. The even when going forward, if the wheel is left for a second the boat veers of wildly to starboard. This has resulted in two very close shaves.

Under sail the boat is fine.

I’m used to 37 to 40 footers and have never experience any thing like this before.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it simply a characteristic of a larger boat?

Anonymous

You don’t say what engine and drive you have. I have, in my Bavaria 32, a Volvo Penta MD2020D with saildrive, and the prop is left-handed. So the boat turns to port, not starboard, in reverse. That said, there is very little prop walk in forward or reverse, but that may be due to having a saildrive. I have a Bruntons Varifold.

I don’t know your particular boat but I find that my boat is very light on the wheel and very, very easily affected by the wind when manoeuvring. The only way is to keep speed up, which takes courage! The boats are very light. My B32 is considerably lighter than my old, smaller Jaguar. Yours may well be lighter, relatively, than my 2003 B32 as mass producers like Bavaria tend to cheapen everything with time. And the topsides are very high too, which causes windage.

Under engine I cannot let go of the wheel at all without the boat veering immediately.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.