• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am thinking of changing from a fixed to folding prop – maybe 4 blade folding volvo penta. Can anyone advise what bavaria recommend to fit. standard 78 hp volvo engine and gearbox – not sure of ratio. Prop rotates anti-clockise? Any help appreciated

Anonymous

I have just been thrugh the same process on my Bavaria41. You will find that the Volvo dealer should be able to match the prop to the vessel dependant on overall length, waterline length, beam, weight and the engine and type of gearbiox which you have. Haven’t yet had the opportunity to try out the Volvo folding prop as we are not yet back in the water.

Happy sailing

Mike

Anonymous

I have a Volvo 3 bladed folding prop and It works really well. There is only one drawback. The annode on the hub needs changing quite frequently. Mine barely lasts 8-9 months though you will find in the forum that some members have found ways to make it last a bit longer.

Regards

John
          Loblolly

Anonymous

I don’t think Bavaria exist after they’ve sold a boat….

…but you will find plenty of opinions on any particular folding prop you might want to choice.

my recommendation is to find one that can be removed complete and easily at the end of the season. Sadly my 2003 Bav 40 Ocean with a Ropestripper and Max Prop needs complete disassembly/strip at the end of every season with the reverse at the start of the next. this is in order to reach the saildrive anode which goes on first and comes off a depleted last. Also note that on Ocean models the saildrive anodes to fit a ropestripper cost around double of a standard anode unless you modify them yourself.

Later model boats have a better saildrive anode solutions (split anode rather than ring) but ease of removing your prop is worth taking into account if you don’t want to leave such a nickable item on the boat on the hard over winter. .

BTW altough being a pain to take off and replace the Max Prop on Filibuster performs really well in both directions and I don’t have ANY problems at all with prop walk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘I can’t find it :-(’ is closed to new topics and replies.