• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am considering fitting a Raymarine Radar and Plotter to our Bav 40. I am interested in comments regarding the advantages of the E series over the C series and what size moniter seems to be the most preferred. I have always thought that the best place to locate the screen was under the sprayhood but the Bav 40 has a hatch and winch in the way. So the next question is ” the binnacle or the chart table”. Any comments would be most welcome.

Regards

John
      Loblolly

Anonymous

We are waiting to take delivery of a Bav 37 which will include radar and plotter, have gone for the C series due to cost and only needing one display for the moment. We have chosen to put it at the chart table as our eldest daughter (11) is interested in navigating and there is more space here to compare plotter and chart and explain it all. Having said that we previously had a very small plotter (garmin 276c) at the binnacle on our Sun Odyssey 32.2, it was great to have the information to hand especially as we are regularly short handed due to the needs of children but we hope that now they are older can join in the navigation. The disadvantage of having the plotter at the binnacle was that it would be difficult for someone to use it for planning when there was someone on the helm. Ultimately we would like a stand alone plotter on the binnacle aswell to give the helm info to hand especially when night sailing so I guess 2 E screens would have been the perfect solution but the budget wouldn’t stretch to that and a portable could have other benefits aswell in the dinghy or when exploring on land.
        Just some thoughts for you based on our experience, look forward to hearing others.
        Jane

Anonymous

Thanks Jane, your comments were most usefull and confirmed some of my thoughts. I hope you enjoy the 37 and have a great season.

Regards and fair winds, John

Anonymous

John, a few thoughts from husband, if you don’t already have a gps aerial on board then the Furouno 32 fixed gps is not much more than the Raymarine active aerial and gives you the benefits of a second screen down below to display position sog cog etc, This is the option we have gone for.
            Regards
            Jane

Anonymous

In our Bav 40 Ocean we have a Raymarine C series plotter / radar and a suit of ST 60 instruments inclusive of auto pilot. Every thing is liked with sea talk (NMEA links) and appears to work very well. The C series plotter is a C70 and is located in the cockpit binacle. The ST 60 insturment below at the chart table gives read outs of the various functions to keep track of what is happening. We also have a second GPS, a Magellen complete with charts. This works well as the GPS for the Nav Station.

The C70 screen is a little small and when shared with the radar picture is too small – but it is price efficient and fits neatly in to the binacle.

Anonymous

We have a B33 and have fitted plotter at the chart table with a st60 graphic repeater at the binnicle along with st60 wind and autopilot. All are interconnected with sea talk. The theory behind this is that all navigation is done at the chart table checking chart against chart plotter and vise versa. The graphic repeater allows all chart plotter info to be displayed at the helm thus stopping traffic up and down the companionway. We find this works extremely well. Best of luck in your quest and we hope this helps.

David
                Aurora B33

Anonymous

John

One further thing you might wish to consider – will you want to integrate AIS with the Chartplotter? I don’t think the C Series will interface with AIS but the E Series will. I’m not certain about this but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

If you cross the Channel, or just want to see the names and destinations etc. of the big boats in the Solent, then AIS is well worth having. It is particularly helpful for collision avoidance – much better than radar as it works from the GPS data on both the target vessel and your boat, not on wildly yawing radar data (even with a gyro stabilised compass) that you get with MARPA. It gives you the name and call sign (so you can call them up if necesary), SOG, COG etc for all the big ships within VHF range – at least 16 miles. It also calculates the CPA (Closest Point of Approach) i.e. is it going to hit me, and also the time to CPA (how long have I got).

The NASA AIS ‘Engine’ that I use only costs around £120 and all you need is another VHF aerial (pushpit mounted is fine).

Roger

PS I use a laptop (not a chartplotter) with Maptech (for navigation) and AIS running in a separate programme – see the article I wrote in the Aug06 BOA Mag. With a chartplotter, it’s all integrated in the one picture, I think – perhaps some E Series expert can help us out here?

Anonymous

There seem to be several issues here.
                    1. In my opinion, the best location for the screen depends on whether you sail shorthanded. If so, then to have the radar/chartplotter under the eye of the helmsman/ watchkeeper is the better option. Personally, I plan on paper charts down below, and favour the binnacle position for the display.
                    2. C70 or E series? The difference in cost is substantial, and I have found the C70 meets my needs.
                    3. AIS? Am told by Raymarine that the C70 can display AIS data, but the software must be the latest version. Upgrades are apparently free from the Raymarine website. So far I haven’t tried this however.

Anonymous

the c 80 chart plotter will run ais if you have the latest update from raymarine. will run c80 chart plotter on binnacle with navtex 6 plus at chart table as this will run as a repeater for cog sog this works well will also run on chart table furono fixed gps with yeoman chart plotter to run paper charts hope this will cover most eventualities,will run ais on chart plotter as well and when i can afford it radar.if i get lost with this lot its back to the sextant now where did i put that.

Anonymous

One plus of the E series is that you can install a remote VGA display. So I went for the E80 at the helm and a £80 vga monitor that runs of 12v at the nav station. In practice I have found I want the radar/plotter/ais info when I am actually standing at the helm. Having a screen below decks is only really used when planning.

Anonymous

Thanks for all your replies, it has been really usefull. I am trying to fit a C120 or E120 at the helm but I may have to settle for the 80. I have used a 120 but not the 80. Do you find the 80 is clear enough for radar and AIS when used as a full screen?

Regards, John
                          Loblolly

Anonymous

We have a C80 at the helm and have just interfaced it with a NASA AIS – you do need to download and updare the SW – quite easy. It is fine to display radar etc. AIS is great, just did two channel crossings and the extra info is very useful. I also have a PC at the chart table and feed AIS to this as well, along with all NEMA data using the Raymarine NEMA to Seatalk converter. If you want a good and FREE chart plotter for the PC then SOB from Digiboat is very good. Displays C-Map charts, AIS and all the functions you might need.

No excuse to get lost or hit anything now!

Dave Targett

Anonymous

I settled for a C120 fitted at the chart table and I will have a C80 fitted to the binacle later. I chose the Navionics Platinum chart which I am very impressed with. One word of warning, Raymarine GPS is not compatable with my Furuno DSC radio so I have had to buy a Raymarine Radio as well. I now have a Furuno DSC for sale. Thanks for the other info.

Regards, John
                              Loblolly.[/color]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.