• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi
      I have above 2000 boat that has never had a windlass fitted. I recently saw another Bav 34 of same year with windlass installed by factory onto a platform in chain locker. The platform was clearly part of the original mould. My chain locker has no such platform. Has anybody out there ever retro fitted such a platform…any pit falls?

Anonymous

I have a B36 and retro fitted a windlass. The guy who fitted it basically got a piece of hard word cut it to fit and fibre glassed it in and he made the gel the same colour as the anchor locker so it looks like it was part of the original build. The hard part was feeding the cables from the batteries.

Thanks

Jim

Anonymous

Hi I have just bought a 34 with no windlass aand am very interested in your retro fit one, could you supply any more detail about the fit ? Was there any strengthening required and what was used, my anchor locker also has no platform so I would have to do the same retro fit unless anyone has any better ideas

cheers Mart

Anonymous

My understanding is that the deck moulding would have been made with the windlass mounting but if you did not order a factory fitted windlass this was cut off before the deck was fitted – shame.

Anonymous

I bought my B34 christmas 2001 with the factory fitted anchor windlass. The fiberglass shelf is part of the deck moulding and consists of a hardwood base about 20mm thick which appears to be stuck to the underside of the fiberglass rather than built in. The sides of the moulding have large holes cut into them to allow hand access to the cables on the Starboard side and the nav light cable on the porthand side. What remains looks very flimbsy but has stood the test of 9 years of use. During this time the wood base has distorted so there is a noticable dip at the front probably due to the weight of the windlass constantly applying its weight in a seaway as well as the loads applied when anchoring.
              We have just completed a complete refurbishment of the windlass which had corroded, (i have posted seperate information on windlass corrosion.) and we took the opportunity to strengthen the underside of the front of the timber base with an angle iron section, which has pulled out the distortion.

Considering how flimbsy the original shelf looks you should have no difficulty glassing in a strong enough platform and if i was doing the job i would glass to the hull rather than attempt to hang from the deck moulding.

Anonymous

Thanks for that, I think glassing to the hull will be the way forward then thanks,

Anonymous

And while I think about it, your grabrail looks great any pictures of the top fitting by any chance 😉

cheers Mart

Anonymous

Hi Mart,
                    PBO are running an article on my grabrail/navigation area in their September issue. It does not include all the pics so for the benifit of other members i will send a post under the heading Grabrail with pics as it seems the wrong place for posting here.

Anonymous

Our boat is in the Ionion, Greece, where the anchor winch is used twice a day, dinner stops and evenings. What with crossed anchors and stern mooring the winch mounting has suffered and the previous owner has had stainless steel reinforcing put underneath the winch.

I think you need something more than wood and fibreglass but be careful of electrolosis between the winch and the SS, anchor chain etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.