• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Participant

Hi. This is my first venture onto the forum. I have had my 36 for 4 yrs and have been really pleased with the boat.
      The boat was lifted last week for antifouling and I noticed the steering was stiff as I motored around to the lift area. Up to then she hadn’t moved from her berth since Oct 06.
      Subsequent checks seem to suggest that the rudder bearings need replacing. Has anyone encountered the same problem? Although the boat is only 4yrs old I wondered if the long layoff had exaggerated the problem.
      Any advice would be welcome.

Webmaster
      Participant

We were advised by Opal to change the bearings on our 40 after about four years – which we did but I’m not sure it was necessary as the problem reappeared soon afterwards. Our cure lay in the lubrication of the plastic lined conduits through which the cables are routed. Whitlock in fact recommend that the cables should be replaced every 3-4 years but it is wear in the conduits which cause the trouble. Also, check the retaining collar on the top of the rudder post – if the locking screw has allowed the collar to loosen the post will have dropped thus causing the quadrant to become misaligned.

Hope this helps.

Pentangle II

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘Bavaria 36’ is closed to new topics and replies.