• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have recently bought a B42 2001 model. During the survey it was noted that the sacrificial anode fitted to the sail drive had very little wear, in fact it was as new. It was however replaced as a matter of course. One season on and I have noticed that the same anode again has very little wear. I also noticed that there is about 2mm play “side to side” in the rudder bearing. Could anybody advise if these two issues are linked? I have checked the battery neg terminal fuse connection to the engine and it is fine. Is 2mm play in the rudder stock acceptable ?

What engine do you have?

If it’s an MD22/TMD22/TAMD22 then these engines have their own negative circuit, and only earth when the starter is engaged, so you’ll find that there’s not much wear on the anodes.

I replaced my prop anodes after 4 years and they were only about half gone.

Anonymous

Thanks Bob That is good news about the anode not reducing. The Engine is an MD22. The surveyor stated that the anode “was probably not fitted correctly” but that is almost impossible to do, so I was suspicious of his findings. I have another boat (on the market at Cowes) a Verl 900 and the anodes on the shaft are gone after one season. That’s why I asked the question. Many thanks. I will monitor the wear on the rudder bearing.

Another bit of info that might be useful to you:-

The MD-22 is a Perkins Prima engine, marinised by Volvo. So except for the marinising bits (heat exchanger, etc.), it’s the same engine as was used in the BL Maestro, Montego, and Sherpa van. It was also the Perkins P50 marine engine.

Get yourself a Perkins Prima Haynes workshop manual off ebay, and if you need any parts, go to a motor factors (or ebay) and buy Perkins Prima bits.

I got a spare engine out of a Montego for £100 and stripped it down, so have a ready source of spares in the garage.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.