• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I’m a newbie to these forums, but a long-term user of the Internet. I’ve already contacted the Membership Secretary on this topic, but perhaps it would be better with a (slightly) wider audience.

I have to say that I’m somewhat disappointed about the activity on the forums. I’m sure that the newsletter adds value to the membership, but I feel that the forums would be more valuable to all members if they were free to all, like most other forums. For funding you could have a donation policy, charge for putting an advert in the For Sale sections, and charge suppliers to have adverts or a sub-forum.

I have known about the BOA for a number of years, but I was put off by the subscription. I only subscribed because a member of the YBW forum suggested that someone on the BOA may be able to help with a current query. Frankly, I think the lack of forum activity makes this unlikely.

Please don’t take this as a criticism, I’m trying to be constructive.

Anonymous

I would second this. Having moved from a Moody it is dissapointing to see so little activity compared to the Moody owners site. Despite this I am delighted with my Bavaria.

Anonymous

@moodymike wrote:

I would second this. Having moved from a Moody it is dissapointing to see so little activity compared to the Moody owners site. Despite this I am delighted with my Bavaria.

So almost a week later, only one reply and 9 votes cast. I’m guessing that the 5 No votes are from the mods. This is pitiful.

The solution, a new Bavaria Yacht Forum which is FREE!

The new forum only opened yesterday, but has already overtaken the BOA in terms of usage – some statistics:
          BOA Forum: Most users ever online was 6 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:35 pm [Yes, that really does say 6!]
          New Forum: Most Online Today: 10. Most Online Ever: 10 (Today at 13:28)

Anonymous

If it’s so pitiful I’m sure the BOA would be happy for you to have your £15 back in return for your membership card.
            Alternatively you could be a bit more constructive and as a long term internet user offer to help the Association in setting up something that may be more suitable?
            Don’t forget that the BOA is only run by half a dozen or so members, the majority of whom all have full time jobs etc and run the Association by giving up their valuable free time.
            Whilst your comments may have some merit you do appear to lack tact and diplomacy.

Anonymous

@Sundance wrote:

Alternatively you could be a bit more constructive and as a long term internet user offer to help the Association in setting up something that may be more suitable?

I made several suggestions when I applied, they were all rejected. Don’t get me wrong, it would be great if these forums were active enough to be useful, but they are not.

As I said in the thread on the YBW forum: I’ll make you a deal: abolish the fees to access your forum, and I’ll close my free Bavaria Yacht forum down. Otherwise, you got a war. [LATER] :mrgreen:

Anonymous

There is a very good reason why i will not contribute to an unregulated forum, that does not require some degree of buy in – hence i am happy to pay the £15 annual fee (blimey, i have spent more in Domino’s on a friday night!!!)

The reason is, why would i want to tell everyone what i have done to my boat regarding equipment and modifications all of which costs money and can be resold etc – if the local scrotes can get this information without any questions, it becomes a marine burglars best resource as to where to get valuable kit. At least with a buy in the opportunists are put off and you take your chances on a mooring like everyone else rather than becoming a target. The majority/all of the people on here are respectable and law abiding and so there is a degree of trust about what is posted.

Regarding your last comment about a war, i have heard more grown up things in a playground – for goodness sake do yourself a favour and re-read your posts before pressing submit – this will help you avoid looking like a complete tool!!!

Anonymous

Hi
                  This forum is exactly what is says, Bavaria Owners association forum, & therefore only available to those people.
                  If I want an open forum I would go to YBW as an example, I cant see a problem with that, I think Dolcetto has totaly missed the point & and as a previous poster put taken a very school boy attitude.
                  I think it all comes down to the fact on another “open” forum he didnt get the answer he wanted so joined the Boa & payed £15 & now feels greeved as he still cant get the answer he wants.
                  I am with Sundance just give him his £15 back & say good bye !!!

Anonymous

Nigel
                    I think I can safely say on behalf of the BOA Committee that your membership will be terminated very soon and you will no longer have access to this Forum.
                    The reason we keep it for members only is to keep people like you out.
                    All the BOA members I have met are decent respectable people who want to enjoy the sport of sailing. You appear to be just a wind up merchant with nothing constructive to offer.
                    Additionally as such an active internet user with 600 odd posts to your name on the YBW Forums you also appear to of upset a few of the regular forum members there with your total disrespect of forum use.
                    Good luck with your alternative Bavaria Forum. It will be fun trawling through it trying to find an sensible post!
                    Regards
                    Sundance

Anonymous

@SimRow wrote:

i want to tell everyone what i have done to my boat regarding equipment and modifications all of which costs money and can be resold etc – if the local scrotes can get this information without any questions, it becomes a marine burglars best resource as to where to get valuable kit….
                      Regarding your last comment about a war…

Perhaps if the forum didn’t require members to use their boat name to log in, this would not be a problem.

The “war” bit was meant to be tongue in cheek, I just meant that there was going to be some competition.

It was not my intention to cause any upset in the forums, if I have done so then I apologise. The point I am trying to make is that these forums could be so much better if they were more active, and the only way to do this is to make them free. My original post makes this clear.

Anonymous

I’m one of those who believes an open forum would be far more conducive to a reasonable level of activity.

There is no reason why these forums could not be split to have an open, public area and a private area only available to BOA members.
                        I introduced exactly that facility for another class association and it has served well. Technical documents and similar discussions are for association members only, but general questions and chat are available to all.
                        TBH I hardly ever bother coming here – the vast majority of questions can and are answered on the excellent YBW forums (free!).

I understand that some people don’t want to publish what they’re saying to just about everyone in the world … however,these days you have to assume that if you’ve posted it to an internet forum it is available to the world – no matter if it is password protected or not.

All that said – I don’t agree with the seemingly aggressive manner in which the OP is going about trying to get an open Bavaria forum.

Anonymous

@ Fireball

I agree with everything you say, and I apologise to all if I seemed aggressive. Sometimes my passion gets in the way.

I don’t want my £15 back, I just want these forums to be more active.

Anonymous

Nigel
                            I think some valid points have been raised about access to the Forums and parts of the website.
                            How about a more reasonable approach be taken by all where the confrontational attitudes are dropped and something constructive can come out of this.
                            Fireballs suggestions are a start but your ideas set out in a logical manner that can be put to the Webmaster may well benefit you and other members to make the whole website more user friendly and accessible.
                            I’d of thought trying to improve what is in place would be a lot easier than trying to start a new Forum and declaring “War” on the existing BOA does seem a little extreme.
                            Anyway food for thought?
                            Regards

Anonymous

Reply sent by PM.

Anonymous

Rick

In the context of openness and free access I’d be most interested to learn what was in his PM…..

Ian Culley
                                Another Fantasy

Anonymous

Ian
                                  I think it would be unfair to divulge the context of a PM between members however I can say that I have exchanged e mails with Dolcetto in a much more constructive manner and will post my thoughts on making the website more open to non members shortly.
                                  There are other members that have also expressed concern about the amount of information that we keep protected behind the password which as a regular user of the website I don’t see as my saved password on my laptop takes me straight into all areas.
                                  When I accessed the website without the password it is surprising how little info is available for non members to see so I do think something can be done to make the website and possibly some of the Forum more user friendly and accessible that would benefit the Association.
                                  Regards
                                  Rick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.