• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi, just joined, bought my 2001 Bav32 earlier this year. Generally very pleased with her, but the shower drain is a pain in the neck. It’s in the fore part of the heads compartment, while the water drains to the aft end. Means that the grey water pools down near the oilskin locker. Anyone else got this problem and is there a way round it?

Anonymous

Hello and welcome to the BOA!! Unfortunately you’ve just highlighted one of the few problems to be found with a 32….mine’s exactly the same. Best way is to use a squeegee to mop the excess water forward and persuade it to go down the drain. Alternative is to get lots of heavy crew to stand on the bow to tip the boat forward, but this can look a bit silly in a marina…..I thought about relocating the drain further aft but that seems too difficult.

Best regards

Ian Culley/ Another Fantasy

Anonymous

Thanks, Ian, thought that might be the case. Perhaps a couple of tons of iron in the fore cabin, but that might not help the handling!
          At least I know it’s not something unique to my boat.

Iain

Anonymous

Hi, 32 owners you are not alone with this one, the 36 does the same I don’t think there is an answer as the drain is placed by the deep part of the turn of the bilge and there is no room to move it aft where the water goes. I think they just got the moulding wrong!!

Keith and Carole, Wave Dancer

Anonymous

We have come up with a mod which solves this problem in a slightly different way. We cut the suction pipe in the under sink cupboard from the shower drain to the pump just below the pump, and fitted a 19mm T piece. Just below this we fitted an on/off 19mm switch, and reconnected the pipes. We then fitted a new length of shower drain pipe to the other leg of the T piece, long enough to reach the rear of the shower tray, and to the end of this fitted one of those in line non return valves.

After showering, we make sure the switch to the original shower drain is closed, and simply pull the new pipe from the cupboard and use the non return valve end like a hoover to suck the water up. When it is as dry as it’s going to get we turn the valve back the other way, seal the non return valve by putting a thumb over it, and suck the water from the original shower drain. You could fit another switch valve to the new section of pipe to avoid using your thumb to seal the pipe, but this is probably over complicating the job. The 19mm valve and T piece can be obtained from an aquarium shop. This sounds complicated, but in fact is really simple and works.

Regards

Robin Smith
              Moonbeam

Anonymous

That sounds like a good idea, might give it a try. Thanks. Iain

Anonymous

I was told that the problem arises because the hull design is intended for a boat with a second water tank in the bow …..for example a charter boat. The extra bow weight then trims the boat so that (a) the shower will drain properly and (b) you will no longer wake up each morning with a slight headache from sleeping head lower than feet in the bow.

I installed about 70kg of lead in the anchor locker and I beleive that improved the problem but did not fully cure it. Maybe 70 kg was not enough.

Anonymous

Hi, Our solution was quite simple. I bought a small plastic 90 degree bend for connectiing hoses with a flat surface on one end and a section to push a small pipe on the other. The chandler had these for sinks etc. I trimmed the flat end to fit over the existing stainless outlet and positioned it so that the other end was at the bottom of the drain. I glued the flat end to the stainless outlet (previously cleaned and throughly dried) using a good quality glue. The shower pump pumps all the water out. This has been in palce for several seasons and is still working fine. No more smelly water spilling out when healed.

Andrew Smith
                    Dawn Magic

Anonymous

@nereis wrote:

I was told that the problem arises because the hull design is intended for a boat with a second water tank in the bow …..for example a charter boat. The extra bow weight then trims the boat so that (a) the shower will drain properly and (b) you will no longer wake up each morning with a slight headache from sleeping head lower than feet in the bow.

I installed about 70kg of lead in the anchor locker and I beleive that improved the problem but did not fully cure it. Maybe 70 kg was not enough.

70Kg = 70 Litres…. My B32 has a 150 Litre tank under the front berth…. shower drains fine.

Maybe a bit more weight is required?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.