• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #6021

      have single line reefing on reefs 1 & 2 on my Bavaria 34 (Reef 3 needs
      traditional hooking on to the ramshorn). The inner end of reefing lines 1&2
      is connected to the outer ends by some sort of sliding block system within
      the boom.
      When removing the mainsail, I managed to lose the outer end of the reefing
      line 1 in to the boom, and in trying to retrieve it, 1 managed to get the
      internal sliding block right up the mast end of the boom.
      I can think of only 2 solutions currently:
      1. remove the fitting from the outer end of the boom, take the boom off and
      spend several hours / days fishing in there to try to retrieve everything
      and re-thread it.
      2. Pay a rigger far too much money to fix it.

      Can anyone (Excluding Tony Blair) suggest a third way please?!


        I had the same problem with my previous Bav34. My solution was to remove the end fitting off the boom (just enough to see into the hollow section). I taped a small rightangled offset screwdriver on to the end of my extended boat hook and with my arm inside the boom slowly “clawed” the free end of the reefing line back to the pulley the full length of the boom. Also needed a torch sited inside the boom.
        Like fishing , it requires patience but the prize is worth the effort and you know it wont happen a second time.
        Good fishing !!!



          I am pleased to report a happy ending to this one (or so it appears as I
          haven’t actually sailed with the result yet, so fingers crossed!)
          Today I took the end fitting off the boom, which amid much WD40, came off
          remarkably easily considering it has been there 5.5 years from new. I then
          used a 3 metre length of 25mm copper tubing with another metre or so of
          stiff fencing guide wire taped to the end, hooked at the end, to pull the
          sliding block back to the outer end of the boom. With the same contraption I
          was the able to re-thread the escaped reefing line, though I had to draw
          myself a diagram to get it right, following the way reef no. 2 looked. I
          re-assembled it, found no bits left over, tested it as best I could and it
          seemed as good as new. The longest part of the job was actually undoing a
          blood knot around a shackle which had gone more or less solid with years of
          being winched up tight.
          Phew! What a relief, as usually such jobs involve me in much sweat and
          swearing and several important parts lost over the side, but this actually
          took less time than I imagined. Amazingly I was in shirtsleeves (in mid
          November!) bathed in sunshine, and it was really rather pleasant.
          My success is due in no small part to the advice I received here, so many
          thanks for it indeed.
          Duncan – ‘Fellowship’


            If you would like to have a third reef that does not require you to go up to the mast, try the solution i have on my B34.

            Fix a small block with a fixed becket into the knot of the second reef.
            take a third reef line from the cringle through this block then down to a block at the mast foot.through a deck organiser and back to an extra clutch at the cockpit.
            When the second reef is set this brings the small block down to the boom so that the third reef, when required is set by pulling the third position down to the same small block.
            It works a treat and as a bonus is a great way to drop the main, as a downhaul when i am on my own or in severe conditions.
            Contact if you need more detail.

          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.