• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Whenever I leave my boat i fill the toilet bowl with fresh water and pump 75% of this through the system, then turn off the stop cocks, when return everything is fine untill the toilet is flushed, then i am presented with the smell of rotten eggs, and this generally takes 12hrs to totally dissapear, has anybody any ideas how to overcome this??

Anonymous

Smelly Heads seems to be a regular topic here! Have a look in the Hints and Tips archive here for a solution:
        http://www.bavariaowners.co.uk/membersonly/hintsandtips/smellyheads.pdf

Best wishes,
        Nick

Anonymous

@Webmaster wrote:

Smelly Heads seems to be a regular topic here! Have a look in the Hints and Tips archive here for a solution:
          http://www.bavariaowners.co.uk/membersonly/hintsandtips/smellyheads.pdf

Best wishes,
          Nick

This link appears to be broken – does anyone have the file that they can re-post?

Alternately, as this appears to be a problem for most boaters is there not a simple way of back flushing the inlet pipe?

Given that all of the pipes are effectively already there are jabasco and co. missing a trick by not adding another switch position…. or is it not that easy?

Anonymous

The link should be working again now.

Although not my favourite job, We remove the inlet pipe and clean with disinfectant every now and again.

Anonymous

@Webmaster wrote:

The link should be working again now.

Although not my favourite job, We remove the inlet pipe and clean with disinfectant every now and again.

Thanks “Webmaster” link now working!
              Is there any comment on the two photos at the bottom of the .pdf?
              Does simply changing the pipe make all of the difference?
              If so…… why is it not fitted as standard? (replies about cost, not necessary as I am sure we are talking a couple of €!)

Anonymous

Can’t really tell what the two pictures are trying to show, and going back to your original question, I don’t think back flushing will help because it’s what’s in the sea water that is the problem.
                I’m sceptical about the benefit of replacing the inlet pipe, but I do know that once it is cleaned the odour problem goes away. What we need is for someone who changed some time ago to ‘odour free’ pipe to comment.

Anonymous

I put a 3 way valve on the toilet inlet and diverted fresh water from the sink outlet when leaving the boat. Result elimination of smell’s. Smell is stale from seawater in the inlet pipe.

Anonymous

@moodymike wrote:

I put a 3 way valve on the toilet inlet and diverted fresh water from the sink outlet when leaving the boat. Result elimination of smell’s. Smell is stale from seawater in the inlet pipe.

Sounds good – what type of valve did you use?
                    How did you overcome the syphon effect when “flushing” the loo?

Anonymous

A 3 way plastic valve from Lee sanitaion. No syphon effect as the sink drain is isolated via a T piece and the 3 way valve that is only used when leaving the boat to pump fresh water through.

Anonymous

Might the smell be coming from the shower drain rather than toilet system?

Anonymous

The smell definately comes from the toilet. I have connected the waste from the basin into the inlet pipe to the toilet with an ordinary plastic Y piece, then when i leave the boat i half fill the basin with fresh water, close off the seacock to the toilet inlet, then flush the fresh water through the toilet and it has never been smelly since i started doing this. The only thing is the plug has to be in the plughole in order for the toilet to flush..

Ed Holmes Storm Dragon 8)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.