• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have a Bavaria 46 Cruiser (2005). When the boat is roling in the sea the bulheads to the aft cabins makes a terible noice. The bulheads are bonded to the hull but not to the ceiling liner and the floor liner. I have been told that the bulkheads moves and the friction against the ceiling liner result in a squeking. I understand that many Bavarias have this problem. Does any one know have to get rid of the noice?
      Curt Osterholm, B46 Colinda

First place to look is the door frames. They are just screwed in with a bit of silicone behind and are prone to creaking. Otherwise, put your fingers on the joints and you will feel where the movement is coming from (quite often joints between pieces of joinery that are rubbing against one another). Once you have found then, mix up some epoxy with microballoons (known as chocolate spead in the trade because it looks just like nutella), and push this into the joints with a finger to make a filllet. Most of the bulkheads are actually bonded to the ceiling and not just sat in grooves as they appear to be.

Anonymous

We have a Bavaria 34 and the joinery squeak in the aft cabin was terrible. We found that the panels surrounding the engine land on the horizontal board that is the base of the double berth, at the rear of the engine bay. These sections of timber are not fastened together and wood rubbing on wood squeaks. Our solution was to form a dam with blue tack and pour in some teak oil. It does have to be repeated after a few years, but it works. You can check which panels are moving relative to one another by placing fingers at suspected joints whilst the boat is under sail and squeaking.

@saloma wrote:

We have a Bavaria 34 and the joinery squeak in the aft cabin was terrible. We found that the panels surrounding the engine land on the horizontal board that is the base of the double berth, at the rear of the engine bay. These sections of timber are not fastened together and wood rubbing on wood squeaks. Our solution was to form a dam with blue tack and pour in some teak oil. It does have to be repeated after a few years, but it works. You can check which panels are moving relative to one another by placing fingers at suspected joints whilst the boat is under sail and squeaking.

I had the same in the stbd aft cabin. Just ran a bead of choccie spread round the joints (epoxy with microballoons).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.