• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am interested to find out whether yachts that have installed SSB radios have the ground only to a keel bolt and /or whether additional copper strips have been laid along the bilge.

Also whether you are using the backstay or rod antennas.

Greg – Tanami B34

Anonymous

In August I posted this question about SSB radio installation and I am surprised I have not got a reply.

I assume someone must have installed a SSB/HF or Ham radio on their Bavaria.

I am about to install an earth system for a Ham radio comprising copper tape going from the lazerette to the keel bolts and I am intererested how other yachts may have run the copper.

Greg

Anonymous

Hi I’ve just bought a Bavaria 34 which has SSB installed. I can confirm there is a copper plate installed for it laying along the bildges and there is anntenna running up the back stay hope this helps if you need anything else just ask.

Rgds
          Mike

Anonymous

Hi Mike

Thanks for your response, I have just looked at the forum for the first time since Christmas.

The copper plate is something new to me if it is just lying in the bilge. I assume it is under the table around the keel bolts. I would be interested in it dimensions. Is it bolted to the keel bolts?

I am also interested as to how the copper plate is earthed back to the antenna tuner in the stern. It should be flat copper strap and I am interested how it has been run.

Have had Tanami for 4 years and race her regularly in Port Stephens. Very happy with her performance for a crusing boat. We are currently adding some gear in preparation for a 5 month cruise to the Whitsundays later in the year.

Regards

Greg

Anonymous

Hi Greg

I sent you a PM.

Mike
              Artemis

Anonymous

I know this topic might be a bit stale, but I’m curious to know how you got on with your SSB installation. I installed the ICOM802 into my Bav 37 last year and went the route of using ‘counterpoise’ lengths or wire throughout the hull cut to the various frequencies. I’ve earthed the system from the ATU to the heads thru hull. It seems to work well and I tune up on all freq. with in a second or on most. But, recently I’ve been debating taking a broad strip of copper from the ATU to the keel botls as well. Appeciate any views.

Anonymous

Hi Pigeon

I had a very successfull trip last year as far as HF was concerned. I had a friend on a yacht near New Guinea when I was going up the Australian east coast. He was receiving me 5/5 and I could just hear him. When he came back he was convinced that it was because of the keel as a ground plate. He has a 44′ cat.

I ran a 2″ flat copper from the antenna tuner in the stern of the B34 to the engine bay and then around the various holes under the galley and back to the bilge and attached the copper to two keel bolts. I was advised by others that my signals were excellent when I could just hear them on a number of occasions.

Greg
                  Tanami B34

Anonymous

Hi Greg

Many thanks for the reply- you’ve convinced me! I have this 8 m roll of 2.5 inch copper foil which I have been looking at for, I don’t know how long, and wondered if I shoud just bite the bullet and install it- I will. I installed the Atu-140 on the starboard lazerette aft panel, so need to find a route from there to the keel- as I’m sure I will. Thanks again

Bob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.