• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Well named (Sturnus vulgaris) But a better name and genius would be Shite Hawk Maxumis! I have just spent 5 hours cleaning Impavidus only a week after we did the same last weekend. Port Solent is plagued at this time of year by the little B**$_+DS! We have tried CDs on the topping lift, Polly bags, ribbon strips even popping off a few .22 rounds. A friend who is a game keeper has suggested hanging a few dead Starlings at the mast head.
      Anyone got any good ideas how to keep then roosting on my mast and rig?

Best regards.

Ant.

Anonymous

I Tied fishing line about two inches above each of the spreaders from shroud, in front of mast to opposite shroud. I also tied a length above the mainsail bag from mast to topping lift. Height is important. Too low and they still land. Too high and they can get under. It didn’t stop them landing elsewhere but it reduced the amount of fouling considerably.

Anonymous

I’ve had the same problem and will be moving to Port Solent in a few weeks………

So my question is what is the best remedy to remove the fouling from the fibreglass and teak , washing it off leaves a stain.

Thanks Derek

Anonymous

Y10 or other product containing oxalic acid, left on for about 20 minutes will do the trick. You can buy oxalic acid in crystal form on line and mix it with water. It’s a lot cheaper than buying Y10 but to make it work we add a little wallpaper paste so that a thick layer can be applied to do its work. Don’t let it dry hard or you will need a scrubbing brush to remove it. Make sure that you re seal the fiberglass with a good polish.

Anonymous

No answers to prevent roosting – we moved our boat for the starling season to another marina under MDL’s Freedom Berthing scheme. Milton removes the stains.

Anonymous

Apparently snakes are the cure.

For how long and how effective is any ones guess. Alternatively, hawk kites, real hawks, or sitting on your boat from an hour before sun set till dark tapping the rigging every 5 mins.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUMMY-SNAKE-RUBBER-TOY-FAKE-SNAKE-PARTY-SCARY-PRANK-GAMES-SNAKE-CHILDREN-FUNNY-/251778206480?hash=item3a9f268b10

We use a Karcher presure washer with a rotary head on the deck (not the teak) and Boat wash product from 3M with a stiff brush.

Our water supply in the marina has pressure but low flow. So it takes a while. A good coat of wax helps protect against future atack.

Best regards.

Ant.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.