• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Anyone with stiff steering might find this PBO thread of interest –

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181996

The steering on Playtime has been gradually getting stiffer over the last few years to the point now that it needs fixing; I’m currently negotiating with local boatyards.

I’ll report again when the problem has been sorted.

Roger

Anonymous

Roger,
        what did you do in the end as I am about to look at my rudder and drop it down to grease it. it is starting to feel stiff. not sure how to release it from the top though, anyone out there done this?

Keith & Carole, Wave Dancer B36 2005 model.

Anonymous

Hi Keith

I got Hamble Yacht Services to do the job (but would never use them again). If you follow the link in my first message above you will see the problems encountered. They did drop the rudder a second time and then got an engineer in to take a few thou off the bearing in a lathe. To cut a long story short, I have today (10 minutes ago) received the final invoice from them with the various credit notes applied after I questioned their accounting and responsibility for the second drop etc. The final price was reasonable – the largest cost was the lift and store ashore (but you need that anyway)!

Having now seen how the rudder is attached I would have no hesitation in doing the job myself in the future. The biggest problem will be getting sufficient clearance under the rudder for the rudder shaft to clear the hull. You either need a lift and hold or a pit under the rudder. Getting the lower bearing out of the housing can also be a problem. The yard resorted to a large hammer; I have also heard of scaffolding poles etc. being used as ‘persuaders’. However, it is possible to deal with the bearing in situ – a flapper wheel can be used (if very careful) to lightly ream the inside of the bearing. The bearing should have a small clearance to allow for expansion in the water (a few tens of thou).

I am still not sure whether the bearing should be greased. In theory, delrin (or whatever nylon derivative is actually used for the bearing) should be lubricated by the surrounding water. However, most people I have spoken to have greased the bearing.

If you need any more details, please PM me.

Good luck.

Roger

Anonymous

Hi Roger,

Out of interest which HYS did you use for lift and the work, Port Hamble or Universal?

cheers
            Paul.

Anonymous

I used Port Hamble.

BTW – I just checked the original link in this thread (my first message) and find it is not pointing to the thread that I thought it was.

The thread I meant to point you to is here

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221027

Hope this didn’t cause too much confusion!

Roger

Anonymous

Roger,

Many thanks for what was an interesting read, I will do this myself having removed a few rudders in my time but am a little unsure about how the top, and I assume retaining collar comes off. It looks like a retaining grub screw then a special tool or a made up one to unscrew the top section. I will let down the rudder with a trolly jack just enough to check it out.

Thanks Keith, Carole Wave Dancer.

Anonymous

On Playtime, the thrust bearing is screwed onto the top of the rudder stock and secured with a grub screw that needs a small Allen key. The top of the rudder stock is then covered with a dust cap that screws onto the threads on the outside of the thrust bearing.

If you take all the weight of the rudder on a jack, it should be easy to remove the thrust bearing. You shouldn’t need a special tool (unless it’s ‘dry’ and has corroded on, of course).

If I ever have to do the job again I will do it myself now I know what’s involved; I was very disappointed with the Yard.

Good luck.

Roger

Anonymous

Roger,

Many thanks for the info I will have a go at this next week.

Regards, Keith.

Anonymous

Here’s another interesting thread from the PBO Forum on the subject of stiff steering and bottom bearing replacement on Bavarias. It is clearly a common problem!

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181996

Roger

Anonymous

Dear all,

The steering on Wave Dancer is now so stiff that I am having the boat out and removing the rudder. I note Roger that you used a flapper wheel has this now solved the problem. I am looking for a reamer but will probably have to use fine wet and dry or a flapper wheel.

Keith and Carole Wave Dancer.

Anonymous

@Wave Dancer wrote:

Dear all,

The steering on Wave Dancer is now so stiff that I am having the boat out and removing the rudder. I note Roger that you used a flapper wheel has this now solved the problem. I am looking for a reamer but will probably have to use fine wet and dry or a flapper wheel.

Keith and Carole Wave Dancer.

Hi Keith

It wasn’t me that used the flapper wheel. I had my lower bearing checked and reamed (very slightly) by an engineer. I think it was someone on the PBO Forum thread that used one to good effect.

If you look in the Found It forum here (BOA) you will see that we have found the source of new lower bearings and they are (apparently) only 33 euro. At that price it is cheaper than employing an engineer!

Good luck

Roger

Anonymous

Roger,

Many thanks have now purchased a flapper wheel and lifting out on the 28th let you know how we get on.

Regards, Keith & Carole Wavedancer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.