• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello everyone

I’d greatly appreciate any advice on the following:

I want to take a sample of fuel from my 2004 Bav32. I’ve tried poking a bit of thin plastic tube down the filler tube but can’t get it to go into the tank. Does anyone know if there’s a flap/valve that’s getting in the way?

My other option is to take out the sender unit. It was easy enough to expose the tank, but does the centre of the sender unit (the bit with the electric terminals) simply unscrew or do I need to take out the five screws in the surrounding plate?

Thanks!

Phil

Anonymous

On our 2001 B34 I unscrew the sender unit and gently lift out the whole unit, taking care not to damage it or the seal.
        You then can see into the tank and take a sample.

Anonymous

Many thanks for the advice.

Could I just check: can you unscrew the unit itself straight off, or do you have to take out the five screws in the surrounding plate first?

Phil

You have to remove the 5 screws aroundthe lip, and then it will just lift out.

Webmaster
          Participant

Phil. Hi, Do you suspect you have water in the tank and diesel bug?

If so, the main culprit on this model is the deck mounted filler cap O ring. They need replacing every couple of years as they perish and crack letting water from the deck into the tank. The previous year models had the filler on the transom and it was much less of a problem. If you have the bug in the tank you will have to empty it via the sender hole as previously described, and give the inside a flush with spirit or petrol to kill the remaining bug.

We have helped Tenacious B do this when she was Bill Foleys boat many years ago. We know it happened again when we met the new owners in Weymouth with a clogged filter and stopped engine. They had a tale of woe thinking they had bought bad diesel. We undid the cap and showed them the damaged O ring….

I think the way the 32 sits contributes to water getting in through the filler as its does not seem to be such an issue on other boats with the deck filler.

Ant.

Anonymous

Thanks very much for the helpful advice. Having read various books on marine diesels I decided to take a sample of fuel to see if the tank needed a clean.

In these matters I am always torn between two maxims: ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ and ‘A stitch in time saves nine’. On this occasion I’ve decided to go for the preventive maintenance option so will take a sample as soon as I can get down to the boat.

And I will certainly change the seal on the filler cap!

Thanks again.

Phil

Anonymous

Update: I managed to take a sample of fuel today. I undid the sender unit as advised and was able to pull it out far enough to allow me to get a tube into the tank. I ended up using one of those really cheap siphon devices with the red squeezy bulb. It worked a treat.

I’m happy to report that the fuel was clean and clear without any obvious contaminants.

I’m puzzled by the presence of a thin, translucent tube lying on top of tank. It’s about 10cm in length. Each end is attached to a connector that goes into the tank. I have no idea what it’s for. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Again, thanks for the advice.

Phil

Webmaster
                Participant

Have you got a warm air heater such as a Mukmi, AV avro or Ebispacher? If so it will be the fuel feed for that.

Ant.

Webmaster
                  Participant

@Nauta2 wrote:

I’m puzzled by the presence of a thin, translucent tube lying on top of tank. It’s about 10cm in length. Each end is attached to a connector that goes into the tank. I have no idea what it’s for. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Phil

If you have these two connectors with a tube between them – you don’t have the diesel heater ( unless it was installed to another Dip tube or in the engine return line )…
                    these two connectors are for a generator or can be used to feed a heater – one ( usually the inboard one) has a dip tube the other is the return connector…
                    How do I know – Just fitted a Planar 44D heater to my Cruiser33 and I investigated all the existing connections before adding a new hole to the tank…!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.