• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am just about to become the owner of a B32. Very pleased with the layout apart from finding a suitable storage solution for the one piece washboard. Any idea’s please?

Anonymous

Moodymike,
        Have you looked in the aft cabin?
        On my 36 there is a set of timber blocks on the engine access panel that are put there specifically to receive the washboard for stowage.
        You just drop it in vertically behind them. Simple but effective.
        Regards

Anonymous

Thanks Sundance, I thought there must be some arrangement. I have not officially taken over yet from the Broker will investigate further. Rather than start a new thread can you explain how the batery system works? I am from a Moody background and have been used to either a 3 way switch or separate Engine/domestic key’s. There appears to be just one master switch and a separate battery charger which I presume charges both.

Anonymous

@moodymike wrote:

Rather than start a new thread can you explain how the batery system works? I am from a Moody background and have been used to either a 3 way switch or separate Engine/domestic key’s. There appears to be just one master switch and a separate battery charger which I presume charges both.

Hi MoodyMike (or is it just Mike now or even BavMike?)

Welcome to the forum and, shortly, to the ranks of proud Bavaria owners.

Regarding your battery question, I think it might be worth starting a new thread. Those with an interest/understanding of this subject are more likely to read (and respond to) a thread labelled Battery System than one labelled Washboards and it will aid searches for others in the future.

For my 5 pen’orth, I can’t answer specifically about your boat but normal Bavaria practice is to have a single master switch in the common negative battery lead. Although most boat builders put the master switch in the positive lead, so long as all circuits are isolated by the master switch in the negative lead, there doesn’t seem to be any problem. The advantage is that, even with multiple batteries, you only need one switch.

Charging from the engine alternator is usually via a split charge diode unit, with the alternator sensing the battery voltage to overcome the slight volts drop in the diodes. Both batteries are charged automatically from the alternator, without human intervention (or thought).

Regarding the mains battery charger, this depends on the type of charger and how it was actually installed. Some chargers have dual outputs and these are wired to each battery (house and engine). On other installations, it is not unusual for the mains charger to only charge the house battery; the engine battery is charged, like a car, every time the engine runs. This is OK, of course, until the engine battery goes flat (for whatever reason!).

If you can’t get any info from the previous owner or the broker, then it is probably not too difficult to trace the wires coming out of the charger.

Good luck with the new boat.

Roger

Anonymous

Staying on the washboard thread, I think you’ll find that the B32, certalnly the likes of my 32 ‘Another Fantasy’ (vintage 2002), wasn’t fitted with the retaining blocks described by Richard from Sundance, so don’t be too surprised if the boat you’re looking at doesn’t have them! Having said that, any self respecting DIY person should be able to make up a set fairly easily. If it’s of any help I stow the washboard in the cockpit locker when I’m sailing….

Good luck with the new Bavaria, where will you keep her?

Regards

Ian Culley/ Another Fantasy

Anonymous

Thanks for your help so far will start another thread

Anonymous

Mike,
                  I knew Roger would be along sometime soon to post a much more detailed reply than I could.
                  It is worth a search on the YBW forum on battery wiring as the Bavaria way of switching on the negative crops up quite a few times.
                  Regards
                  Richard

Anonymous

Sorry ” Another Fantacy” I did not reply to your question of berth location. She is a B32 ( 2003) and I will be moving back to Poole end of March. Has anyone thought of cutting the wasboard in half ,it is rather a large lump.

Anonymous

Mike

It has been done but it’s difficult to get a nice clean edge when you make the cut. Also, make sure that you bevel the edge so that water running down the washboard drains out into the cockpit rather than into the saloon….

Ian/Another Fantasy

Anonymous

On our B32 the washboard is 2-part…. we used someone in Sparks Marina (but can’t remember the name) to cut the washboard – angled cut and added some vent holes in the top half. The bottom half can now be left in place if/when necessary.

We managed to get hold of a pair of plastic (nylon?) mounting blocks that we had seen on an Elan (via Premier). With a very small modification (additional strip of nylon behind), these are now mounted in the heads.

Anonymous

We thought long and hard about cutting our washboard into two on our Bavaria 34, but in the end decided it would be a compromise on what we wanted to achieve which was to have the companionway completely sealed in heavy weather, whilst still allowing access from above and below. Whilst we have never been pooped, the existing bridgedeck is almost none existant, hence the need to have some height of washboard in place in heavy weather.
                          We decided to keep the existing washboard intact for use when securing the boat. We had a new washboard made of the same size but it has a large flap at the top, which hinges outwards to allow access. The flap is held in place with a spring loaded stainless steel arrangement so you can operate it with two fingers of one hand. The washboard is held in place with spring loaded pawls as is the sliding hatch cover. All catches can be operated from above or below so the hatch will comply with RORC regulations.The pawl catches are still to be fitted as we are having to work on manufacture in the UK whilst our boat is in Brittany. We also modified the original hasp on the underside of the hatch as it was easily broken when our boat was wintering on the hard and local yobs decided to break-in. If you look at this fitting it is weak where the screws pass through the fitting. Our design makes this section much wider so that the weakest point is now the cross section where the hasp is formed.

Anonymous

Alan,
                            I’m interested in your ideas of securing the wasboard.
                            Any chance you could post some pics of what you have done?
                            Regards
                            Rick

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

Saloma is in Brittany and i will not be going out until May. The washboard with flap is complete, but is on the boat and the Pawl catches are being made by my brother at present. Will send pics on completion, but likely to be back end of season as i am retired and tend not to be at home until October time.

Regards,

Anonymous

Alan,
                                No worries. Like most jobs on the boat the less important ones get put off so I can easily wait till October.
                                Have a good Season.
                                Cheers
                                Rick

Anonymous

Rick,

I just give the washboards to Charlotte to hold, it seems to keep her occupied for ages before she thinks to ask what to do with them, aren’t kids great fun.

Cheers
                                  Paul.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.