• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi every body I am a new member with a bavaria 37 based in Grimsby
      Has anybody fitted a wind generator to there 37, if so how did you mount it and where. and have you any photos of it .
      thats all for now
      derrick

Anonymous

Hi Derrick, I dont know anything at all about wind generators, but I am the editor of the BOA magazine and hopefully you will have received a copy of the latest edition.

Are there many other Bavaria owners up on the East Coast near Grimsby? Do you manage to get together with other members up there?

If there is anything you would like to write about or any short article for the magazine I would love to receive anything – it would be really interesting for other members to hear about your cruising grounds or your experiences.

If you havent yet received your copy of the magazine, just let Sue Leaman, the membership secretary know, and she will post one to you.

If you want to send me anything for inclusion in the Magazine my email address is newsletter@bavariaowners.co.uk

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Crid – Editor, Bavaria Owners Association Magazine.

Anonymous

Hi have a Rutland 913 wind generator fitted on my Bavaria Holiday 35, it is mounted on the stern starboard side, the fitting kit comes with 2no 1200mm poles and a bottom bracket which i bolted on the sugar scoop stern, the vertical poles go inside the top pushpit rail, and outside the lower pushpit rail, I also have 2 number bracing rods connected to the deck. the system works well and keeps my 300amp domestic battery fully charged

Anonymous

I’ve just fitted a Rutland 913 to my 2007 37.

Its on the port side on the deck behind the combing on the stern. There is JUST enough room. I used a 25mm packer shaped to the deck to get the mast vertical.

I initially tried a clamp to the pushpit and 2 wire stays, one near the rear access and the other diagonally opposite on the side deck. Result – not stable. I then tried one more further forward on the side deck making 3 stays. Result – not stable. I then added a 4th on the very back end of the toerail, a s/s shackle through the toerail. Result it was finally stable.

Lesson learnt – the generator is quite heavy and needs many stays. you can get away with 3 if equispaced which is not easy on a boat.

Lesson learnt – if clamped to the pushpit, you do get some extra whine.

Being moored on a buoy I now find my domestic batteries fully carged when I return to the boat. I have connected directly to the domestic batteries and carry jumper cables just in case the starter battery goes dead. We can now leave our fridge on 50% of the time instead of just 5%. Also do not need to keep running the engine. We now only do this if there is no wind.

Fit one! Its the best unit as it works in light winds. Dont we anchor in sheltered spots? So why fit a massive charger that needs lots of wind.

Anonymous

Further to my comments about fitting the Rutland 913 to my 37. I have now used it for 4 months whilst cruising from the Medway to Stornoway and half way back. I can recommend the Rutland 913. We have had no problems and it has dramatically reduced our use of the engine for the refridgerator. Our only comment is that in gale force winds it seems to disconnect and go into superdrive (not charging) and emits a loud screaming noise as the revs go up dramatically. No doubt this is to either save over charging or protects the Rutland.
              Regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.