• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Our anemometer/transducer/wind speed indicator – or in Clyde sailor terms, “our wee whirly thing at the top of the mast” – isn’t working properly.

Visibly it is turning much more slowly and in far more fits and starts than those on our neighbouring yachts. On the nav instruments, the read outs bear no resemblance to actual wind speeds, true or apparent.

The only solution for me to check is a trip to the top of the mast which at 60′ above the waterline is a trip I am keen to do just the once if possible so my questions are:

• What should I be checking for when I am up there?
      • What else is up there worth checking as well?
      • Are there component parts to the transducer assembly or – if broken – does the whole thing need replaced?
      • If so, can this be easily done by an enthusiastic amateur, including calibration, or is this a job best left to the professionals?

At least we are fairly sure what did the damage. During January, we had a week of windspeeds regularly exceeding 60 Kns and captured the pic below in the marina. I think the transducer is just worn out!

Anonymous

Hi, I’ve just replaced my windtransducer (Raymarine ST60). The arrow on the display pointed upwards and the wind speed read 0. I talked to raymarine technical support, who were very helpful, and following discussions with them concluded it was the transducer. Avalon is 9 years old and they don’t hold the spares for the unit I have but they did a “trade in” for me. The transducer is easy to remove and install. calibration is also simple so long as you have the user manual. If yours is a Raymarine unit if you call 02392 693 611 and ask for Tech support someone will be able to help you.
        Pity you weren’t in the south as I would have been more than happy to go up the mast for you.

All the best

Jim

Anonymous

Thanks Jim,

Much appreciated and will phone them in next day or so. We found Trumble Too in Port Solent so you probably know her.

Just to prove that us Jocks are cautious rather than big fearties, I have been aloft before – this was me recovering the Spinnaker Halyard after the last bout of 60 mph winds shredded the genoa sock:

If it helps with scale, I am 6’3″ tall. You would have to ask my winch-man how heavy I am but at least he lost about a stone in sweat hoisting me up there!

Note also the climbing harness – about £30 from any good outdoors shop; safer and much more comfortable than the traditional bosun’s chair.

Anonymous

Nice picture. I’ve been up my mast so often I thought I should get mast miles. I use the same climbing harness, alot more comfortable. My crew for some strange reason think I should go on a diet, persnally I think it’s a good workout for them 😀

When you’ve talked with Raymarine if they’re not certain of the problem, they will do a sale or return on items, although it’s alot easier down here as they’re only 5 minutes away.

Cheers

Jim

Anonymous

Hi,
              Speaking of the climbing harness if it is not too much trouble could you tell me which one you are using and where I might get one ?

Anonymous

I use the Spinlock Mast Pro Harness. You can get these from any well stocked chandlery or buy online. Hope this help

Cheers

Jim

Anonymous

Wow that was a quick reply. Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated. All the best Chris.

Anonymous

@Trumble Too wrote:

[*]Are there component parts to the transducer assembly or – if broken – does the whole thing need replaced?

If this is a Raymarine, then you can buy spares for everything. However, a blast of WD40 may cure the problem.

Anonymous

I have had a similar problem. I went up the mast and removed the annometer, cleaned it with soapy water, used very light smear of oil on the bearing. Now it’s working fine.

Regards, John
                      Loblolly

Anonymous

@Avalon wrote:

I use the Spinlock Mast Pro Harness. You can get these from any well stocked chandlery or buy online. Hope this help

Cheers

Jim

I use a rock climbing harnes… extra padding comes in handy as they are designed for hours of use. Also as there is no mention of the marine industry in the packaging they come in at less than half of the price!

Case in point;
                        Spinlock
                        http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/info_MTDW-MPH.html
                        Rock Climbing
                        http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=&gs_upl=312l6110l0l6360l18l16l0l3l3l0l453l2028l7.3.1.1.1l13l0&q=rock+climbing+harness&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=820382106407880638&sa=X&ei=W2BuTqMKg7eEB_25rYMM&ved=0CFkQ8wIwAQ#

Apologies if this breaches T&Cs – just a simple example….. make up your own mind!

Anonymous

I have a similar problem with my ST60 wind.

I’m pretty sure my wind speed is accurate on the display (cups turn fine and the speed looks about right). My problem is the direction guage on the display, which jumps about all over the place. The mechanical bit of the vane seems to point correctly. I’ve tried to recalibrate but the buttons don’t seem to do anything when I try. Any guesses about where the problem may be?

Anonymous

I had the same problem about 6 months ago. The wind direction wouldn’t hold after calibration. I took the ST60 instrument and the wind vane into Raymarine and they said that a chip had failed on the instrument they could repair it or I could have a new ST60+ for an additional £20. I don’t recall the cost but it wasn’t cheap.

Thanks

Jim

Anonymous

Thanks for that Avalon. As the boat is in the Med, I suppose I’ll have to remove the thing and send it to Raymarine. I’m beginning to wish it was back in Port Solent, like you! I’m not surprised their fix offer wasn’t cheap – eek

But it’s useful to know since I was starting to think I was being daft in my reading of the calibration process.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.