Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The header tank fluid has changed from green to brown, engine is Volvo penta M D 2030D, Good Rum is a Bavaria 36 2002, we have had her for 5 years, I generally have to put a small amount of the green antifree/corrosion inhibitor in each year at the beginning of the season,  I have never drained and changed the fluid, the change from green to brown has been quite sudden, does anyone know if this is a sign of a bigger problem or do I just need to drain and refill with fresh,  the level in the header tank has not changed.

Anonymous

When I bought mine – virtually the same engine (2020D) there was brown sludge in the header tank. I doubt that anything is wrong. You just need to drain the old antifreeze, flush the system well then refill. Use the ‘proper’ Volvo green stuff (from Keypart) and dilute with distilled water (Halfords) not tap water. It is supposed to be changed every 2 years and move has remained clean now that I do that. Getting the drain plug out is a real chafe. It is definitely worth getting a 10mm drain plug socket (eBay) and a set of extension bars. Then you get a good grip of the plug and your tools don’t get tangled with the throttle cable.

Anonymous

Many thanks for your prompt and precise reply Jonathan, you have put my mind at rest, best wishes and Happy sailing, Tony.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.