Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MikeJB
    Participant

We are wanting to install an autopilot (not a wheelpilot) on our 2010 Bav32. It’s an expensive piece of kit with installation so want to get it right. Any advice or recommendations much appreciated.

Anonymous

Not sure what you mean … the Bay 32 has a wheel, not a tiller, so as far as I know the only option is a wheel-pilot. Sorry I can’t be of more help … I have a Bav 32 too but mine is the old-style model, 2003, and it has a Raymarine ST4000 system.

Perhaps you mean a self-steering system such as is used when crossing an ocean?

I dread mine failing due to the cost and hassle, so I look forward to any more responses you might get.

IanJCulley
        Participant

Mike

I fitted the Raymarine Evolution autopilot system with the direct drive motor to my 2002 B32 ‘Another Fantasy’ some years ago, replacing the original ST60 wheel system.  It’s much more responsive than the wheel drive of the ST60; much quicker response and easily copes with rough weather.  It requires a mounting plate to be glassed in to the interior space in the transom aft of the aft cabin to enable the direct drive motor to be mounted and connected to the rudder quadrant.  I had the job done professionally but it’s certainly possible to DIY if you have the requisite skills.  As you say, it’s expensive but well worth it in terms of vastly improved autopilot performance.

Hope this helps….

Ian Culley

MikeJB
          Participant

Thankyou Ian, very helpful. We have also now been referred to the Evolution Integra which is a direct chain drive fitting specifically for Bavaria’s fitted within the binnacle. (The cog is already provided). The cost is about the same but it saves bulkhead works.

Regards

Mike Burton

IanJCulley
            Participant

Mike

I wasn’t aware of the Integra installation but having looked at the Lewmar website it looks a good bit of kit.  Wish it had been available when I had the work done on Another Fantasy!  Good luck!

Ian C

JohnDisney
              Participant

On my B32 2003  I fitted a Raymarine direct linear drive on to the rudder drive shaft below the quadrant and it has been one of the best things I have ever fitted. Reliable and accurate, it can be fine tuned for good or bad weather. The drive unit is mounted in the aft lazerette on a glassed in block and then dives through a quadrant bolted to the rudder shaft below the wheel quadrant. Alternatively they do have a geared option which fits inside the steering pod below the binnacle compass and drives direct onto the chain drive on the steering wheel. Either way they are protected and less hassle than the wheel mounted units. Easy to tack when short handed just push two buttons…

MikeJB
                Participant

Thank you John, very useful. Whilst the Integra (direct gear drive) is a better engineering option (and fewer moving parts to go wrong), I am struggling to find anyone prepared to fit one in the Chichester area. This will probably take us back to the linear drive option therefore.

JohnDisney
                  Participant

The concern I had with the integra is that if you lose the cable or chain connection you have no option other than the emergency tiller. With the linear unit you have direct control of the rudder via the autopilot.  Plus the emergency tiller which takes several minutes to dig out of the locker then remove the wheel and access the rudder shaft cover plate to fit the tiller.

I fitted the unit my self and it is not a complicated job, just awkward getting to the rudder shaft and fitting the pod for the drive unit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.